Saturday, January 22, 2011

Reading

I am all about the written word. I love words. I love reading. I love talking. I am a social person (when in my comfort zone). When asked what I would do with an hour of free, uninterrupted time, my answer would be give me a book, a comfortable chair, and my mocha.

I am kind of a genre snob. I will say right now, I am not interested in, nor will I be reading anything with Vampires. I don't care much for Sci-Fi or Fantasy. Murder is borderline-give me a mystery with murder written by Dick Francis or John Grisham, I'm perfectly happy, but none of this graphic gore. I am also not into the smutty romances. I have a steamin' hot love life and don't care to read about anyone else's.

I happen to be one of those people that believe we need to be true to ethics and ideals, even in choosing what to read. I haven't read very many books that I don't like (I can probably count on both hands in my lifetime the books I've been angry once I finished reading it because of the waste of my time). I think I've only started to read 3 books in the last year (2010) that I couldn't finish because they were too weird, stupid, or just NOT my thing. However, most books, I will finish, even if I don't like it. I feel like I owe my husband an apology,  and I need to give a book he recommended to me 4 years ago, another try. It was sci-fi so I'd already decided I didn't like it before I even opened the first page.

However, I just started a book club and our first official book is Eat Pray Love. I really liked the first section where she was in Italy. Now, I'm in the middle where she is in India and I'm having a hard time with the Eastern Religion and meditating etc. These are my personal opinions so don't get your panties in a wad...I believe in meditating on God, on the Word (in Scripture-which for me, would be the Holy Bible). I am also a bit offended at the grouping of all religions as if Jesus and Buddah are equals because to me, they are not. SO, I'm really struggling with it. Being the leader of the group, I feel bad that I let someone else suggest the book to other poor, unsuspecting souls. I will finish the book because of the book club, but I find I may skip the rest of the trip in India.

Whatsoever things are pure, holy and just, think on these things....Phillipians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment